Reading East has a new Labour MP! This is an excellent outcome as Reading wasn’t considered a marginal. Positive news for Reading West too where the Tory majority was halved. Momentum activists have been very busy joining the Reading & District Labour Party on the campaign trail in both Reading constituencies and this hasn’t gone unnoticed. The day after the election, Reading East MP Matt Rodda called our very own Paul to thank Momentum Reading for our campaigning. He said that Reading Momentum members’ contribution had been “superb, absolutely brilliant!”.
Below is a quick round-up of the Reading Campaign and we couldn’t help showing off a bit about our contribution:
- Matt Rodda increased his number of votes since 2015 by 10,000.
- The increase in Reading East represented a 16% swing.
- Olivia Bailey halved the Reading West Conservative majority.
- 2,000 people attended a Jeremy Corbyn rally a week before the election.
- Over 50 local Momentum Reading volunteers joined the campaign trail in both constituencies.
- Over 20 Momentum activists from out of town: Oxford, Bracknell and Egham joined in too.
- In just one morning, Momentum Reading volunteers handed out 6,000 leaflets in Abbey and Katesgrove wards.
- Our blog post about the now EX Tory MP Rob Wilson was read by almost 1,000 people.
- 14 people are ‘going’ to the victory drinks next Saturday the 17th!
We’re really proud of the effort by the Reading & District Labour Party and Momentum Reading activists in this campaign – thank you to everyone who helped out.
Join those 14 people who will be at the Great Expectations, Library Room next Saturday at 7.30 to celebrate our local victory!